All information and communication technology (ICT) procured, developed, maintained, or used by Federal agencies must be accessible. ICT includes software, hardware, electronic content, support documentation and services.
If you want to purchase ICT products or services for your Federal agency, you will need to determine whether, and how well, the items conform to the Revised 508 Standards for IT accessibility. The first step is to evaluate accessibility information from vendors.
- Request Accessibility Information From Vendors and Contractors - Learn how to communicate accessibility requirements and contract provisions to vendors so you get the information you need to perform a 508 technical evaluation.
- Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) - Review the product’s VPAT to determine how well the product complies with Section 508. Vendors typically post this information on their website on their ”accessibility” page or on the product description page.
Document Accessibility Requirements
Incorporate Section 508 criteria into the evaluation factors and add accessibility provisions, clauses, and acceptance criteria, to ensure accessibility support is provided throughout the life of the contract, and to manage your agency's accessibility risk after award.
- Define Accessibility Criteria - This sample language can help you properly document provisions, clauses, and acceptance criteria when preparing solicitations, statements of work, or other procurement documents.
- 508 Standards Applicability Checklist (MS-Word, May 2018) - Use this checklist to document your accessibility requirements for ICT items
- Determine 508 Standards and Exceptions - Step-by-step guidance on how to complete the Standards Applicability Checklist
- 508 Standards and Exceptions Chart & Examples - Sample template for reporting standards and exceptions in solicitations
Accessibility Requirements Tool (ART)
- Accessibility Requirements Tool - Automates the Revised 508 Standards Applicability Checklist; generates an accessibility reporting requirements template and customizable accessibility solicitation language.
Use accessibility testing to validate that technology products and services provide full support for accessibility prior to contract award and/or prior to deploying custom developed deliverables.
- Test for Accessibility - Learn how to test documents, websites, and other electronic content for accessibility.
- U.S. Web Design System - A design system to quickly prototype and deploy accessible digital products
Reviewed/Updated: May 2018