The OMB Strategic Plan for Improving Management of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act aims to improve how agencies manage Section 508 and IT accessibility responsibilities by increasing transparency, strengthening accountability, and improving collaboration.
Federal agencies are required to report to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) twice per year on their IT accessibility/Section 508 program maturity and effectiveness. The CIO Council’s Accessibility Community of Practice and GSA analyze these reports to find ways to improve collaboration across agencies, reduce redundancies, and develop solutions to improve management of government accessibility programs.
Reports are required from all CFO Act Agencies, and recommended for all Federal agencies.
When is the report due?
Reports are due twice per year, at the end of February, and the end of August.
Is there a new reporting system for FY19?
Yes. GSA has developed an automated reporting system for use beginning with the February 2019 reporting cycle. Designated agency contacts at CFO Act agencies will receive login information from GSA shortly before the reporting due date. Non-CFO Act agencies that wish to submit a report should email us at email@example.com to request access to the system.
How do I prepare the report?
- Complete the Mandatory 508 Program Maturity Metrics section for each of the five reporting requirements.
- Complete the website Compliance Metric per your existing testing processes.
Review the links below for guidance to help you complete your report.
- Assessing Program Maturity
- Rolling Up Metrics
- Measuring Website Conformance
- Review the OMB Reporting Questions
How do I submit the report?
The current round of reports are due February 28, 2019, unless your Agency has negotiated a different date with OMB for receipt of the February 2019 IDC report.
- Submit your information via the accessible online OMB Agency 508 Reporting tool.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a link to the reporting tool.
- Frequently Asked Questions about OMB reporting
- Assess Maturity of Your Agency’s 508 Program - Play 2 from the Technology Accessibility Playbook
Please direct questions about the template or reporting process to email@example.com.
Reviewed/Updated: February 2019