DigitalGov University Guidance
The following resources were developed by DigitalGov University.
- 508 Accessible Videos—Why (and How) to Make Them
- 508 Accessible Videos – How to Make Audio Descriptions
- 508 Accessible Videos – How to Caption Videos
- 508 Accessible Videos – Use a 508-Compliant Video Player
- Making Multimedia Section 508 Compliant and Accessible
The resources in this section were developed by Federal agencies, and shared here for your convenience.
- Provisional Guidance for Audio Description (AD) - Developed by HHS
- Multimedia File 508 Checklist - Developed by HHS
- Ensure video content includes synchronized captions.
- Carefully review and edit the accuracy and synchronized timing of the captions, even if captions are provided through automated captioning software.
- Ensure audio descriptions for people with visual disabilities are included in the default sound track, or as a separate selectable sound track.
- If you are providing a multimedia player to view electronic content, make sure the player addresses the software provisions in the standards.
- If you are providing a learning management system tool to help users locate and track usage of the content, make sure that:
- The system addresses the software requirements; and
- The electronic content provided through the system meets the electronic document provisions.
The Audio Description Project - American Council of the Blind
Harpers Ferry Center of the National Park Service offers guidance on audio descriptions
Virtual Meetings and Collaboration
Instructions and techniques on how to provide accessibility for virtual collaboration.
- FedRelay - Intermediary telecommunications service for individuals within the federal government who are deaf, hard of hearing, and/or have speech disabilities
- Accessible and Inclusive Telework Practices Using Microsoft Teams - Guidance from HUD
- 5 Tips on Holding Accessible Microsoft Team Meetings - Guidance from HUD
- Accessibility overview of Microsoft Teams
- Downloading and Running a Closed-captioning Pod in an Adobe Connect Meeting
- How Do I Enable Closed Captions in Webex?
- Getting started with closed captioning in Zoom
Reviewed/Updated: April 2020