How to create accessible Microsoft PowerPoint presentations.
Microsoft PowerPoint 2016
Guidance developed by the Accessible Electronic Documents Community of Practice (AED COP).
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2016 Authoring and Testing Guide (MS Word, March 2019)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2016 Testing Checklist (MS Word, March 2019)
The Accessible Electronic Document Community of Practice (AED CoP) created this series of videos to explain and demonstrate the minimum steps needed to ensure your Microsoft PowerPoint presentation is Section 508 conformant.
Duration 43m 54s | 14-part Video Tutorial
Older versions of Microsoft PowerPoint
The resources in this section were developed by Federal agencies, and shared here for your convenience. Note, much of this guidance predates the Revised 508 Standards.
- PowerPoint 2013 Accessibility Checklist - Developed by SSA
- How to Make Your PowerPoint 2010 Presentations 508-Compliant (PDF, December 2014) - Developed by HHS/CMS
- Section 508 Quick Reference Guide – MS PowerPoint 2010 (PDF, November 2013) - Developed by HHS/CMS
- PowerPoint Document 508 Checklist (March 2013) - Developed by HHS
- Create Accessible Digital Products
- How to Make Presentations Accessible to All - Guidance from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- Alternate Text For Images (PDF, July 2011) - Developed by SSA
- Review WebAIM Alternative Text for appropriate use of alternative text.
- Review W3C's Alt Decision Tree for guidance on how to describe images.
- Microsoft Accessibility
We're always working to improve the information and resources on this website. To suggest a new resource for this or another page, please contact us.
Reviewed/Updated: February 2021