Section 508 Coordinators
Federal Section 508 Coordinators are responsible for organizing and supporting the implementation of Section 508 within their respective departments and agencies and have been appointed by their department/agency as the central point of contact for information concerning accessibility issues and solutions. We have a search page for Federal agency coordinators. A complete listing of Section 508 IT Coordinator(s) is available too.
Section 508 Coordinators ResponsibilitiesSection 508 Coordinator responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Defining the roles and responsibilities of the Coordinator, establish a team of subject matter experts to assist, and coordinate all reporting requirements.
- Coordinating the integration of Section 508 accessibility needs into department/agency budget, strategic, and IT capital plans.
- Supporting validation of accessible IT systems performance prior to deployment.
- Coordinating and providing sources of education and training to key personnel within the department/agency, identify available resources, and stay abreast of procurement changes to the FAR that will affect the purchase of any new equipment or software.
- Section 508 Coordinators should establish contacts with other department/agency coordinators to share information about your organization’s implementation strategies.
If your department/agency does not currently have a Section 508 Coordinator or is not listed you should contact your Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO). If you do not have a OCIO, contact whomever is in charge of Electronic & Information Technology.Archived 508 Coordinators Reference Manual: Archived 508 Coordinators Reference Manual