A compilation of federal guidance, checklists, and testing information for creating and maintaining accessible video, multimedia, and social media using various popular electronic formats and channels including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Vine, Wordpress and other social media tools. Sources for these resources are identified by abbreviations for federal components. Other valuable guidance from non-federal sources, including industry and academia, can be found from internet search using relevant keywords such as "accessible presentation".
- Making Twitter Images Accessible, March 2015: innovative technique from the 18F group at GSA.
- Social Media and Accessibility: Resources to Know, January 2015: informative post on digitalgov with links to other resources.
- Federal Social Media Accessibility Toolkit, June 2014: comprehensive guide to Improving the Accessibility of Social Media in Government developed by DOL, GSA, and the Federal Social Media Community of Practice, originally a digitalgov post now available as a collaborative "HackPad" for others to contribute.
- Accessing Social Media, July 2014: proceedings from a cross-sector event about making social media tools and content accessible including information about authoring tools, client apps, and best practices from FCC.
- 5 Myths About Social Media Accessibility, June 2013: post on digitalgov.
- Making Social Media More Accessible, December 2012: specific tips for making your agency's social media content more accessible from DigitalGov University by GSA. [video]
Video and Multimedia
- Creating Accessible Flash Course, April 2014: on-line tutorial from VA.
- 508 Accessible Videos – How to Make Audio Descriptions, June 2014: post on digitalgov with practical guidance from GSA.
- 508 Accessible Videos – How to Caption Videos, June 2014: post on digitalgov with practical guidance from GSA.
- 508 Accessible Videos – Use a 508-Compliant Video Player, June 2014: post on digitalgov.
- 508 Accessible Videos—Why (and How) to Make Them, June 2014: post on digitalgov with comprehensive guidance.
- Provisional Guidance for Audio Description (AD), September 2014: draft guidance on audio description from HHS.
- Alternate Text For Images, July 2011: key concepts, guidance, and common mistakes from SSA. [pdf]
Checklists: sets of yes/no or pass/fail checkpoints to help find and fix accessibility issues in video and multimedia presentations.
- Section 508 Checklist for Video and Multimedia Products, July 2014: a set of evaluation checkpoints from VA. [doc]
- Multimedia File 508 Checklist, March 2013: a set of yes/no questions to evaluate multimedia files from HHS.
Testing: information on conducting formal tests formal tests and remediation on already-authored and formatted video and multimedia presentations.
- Making Multimedia Section 508 Compliant and Accessible, June 2013: post on digitalgov including tips for implementing and key areas to test from GSA.
See Agency Shared Guidance for other resources from agencies.
Abbreviations for Federal Component Sources of Information
- DOL - Department of Labor
- FCC - Federal Communications Commission
- GSA - General Services Administration
- HHS - Department of Health and Human Services
- SSA - Social Security Administration
- VA - Department of Veterans Affairs